Friday, June 8, 2012
Everyday on the CitizenTube channel (and @CitizenTube on Twitter), along with our curation partners @storyful, we look at how the top news stories are covered on YouTube. Each week we post a weekly recap of the top news stories of the week, as seen through the lens of both citizen-reported footage and professional news coverage.
- We watched former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak receive a life sentence following a ten month trial.
- We observed millions in Britain and beyond stop to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee.
- We witnessed another week of violence in Syria, as activists reported a new 'massacre' in Syria's Hama province just days after the government there announced they would allow permanent UN aid teams in.
- We saw a devastating plane crash in Lagos, Nigeria, claim the lives of over 150 people.
- We followed the ups and downs of the US election campaign trail as incumbent Governor Scott Walker survived the Wisconsin recall election.
- We marveled at the occurrence of a rare celestial event, as the Transit of Venus was spotted worldwide.
- We paid tribute to inspirational author Ray Bradbury, who died this week aged 91, with a collection of wonderful interviews.
- We marked World Environment Day; an annual UN initiative aimed at celebrating globally positive environmental action.
- Finally, 23 years after the Tiananmen Square massacre, we viewed activists gather in Hong Kong to remember the victims.
Come back to watch the news unfold on YouTube.
Olivia Ma, YouTube News & Politics, recently watched "Amazing Video: Transit of Venus across the Sun 2012".